Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why Such a Boring Subject?

I admit from the outside looking in, this subject seems extremely boring. You are probably thinking why would this kid want to torture himself for a whole semester of college? What kind of frat boy likes art, especially art that's seven centuries old? 

Thought this was appropriate.
I was once in your seat, staring at the words "Renaissance Art" on a high school white board, fighting off the urge to sleep. What is this teacher talking about?  Donatello, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael are the names of crime-fighting turtles, not artists. Spare me. When is lunch?

Luckily for me, I had a crazy awesome teacher that could make a cardboard box look like the Playboy Mansion. She showed me that there was much more to be found than just some paint on a canvas. Every work of art told a story, some simple, some rather complicated, but they were all interesting. From history to conspiracy theories there is so much behind one piece. It's truly amazing what one could do with the resources they had during that time. 

I realize that I probably haven't sparked your interest at all, but believe me, I will eventually. If you were like me, you know nothing of what is to come. I know that not everyone will find this interesting, but I promise if you keep an open mind you will find that what was once a boring subject will be pretty freaking cool. At the very least if you ever find yourself in a heated debate over Renaissance art, you could refer back to this blog.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment